Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Touch Math

I love the idea of TouchMath, some students simply need the tactile approach to learn.  I was only introduced to this during the last several days of my 1st grade position and felt my students were at a great disadvantage because of my ignorance.  More than a few students would have greatly benefited from this concept had I known. 

The basis is that the numbers 1-4 have a single touch point the students touch while they count, the numbers 5-9 have double touch points.  By having the students touch these points on the number while they count they build number sense and an understanding that a number has a value. For more information click here.  This seems like a great idea for pre-school or kindergarten students, but can really benefit students who are learning to count on or need practice with basic math facts. 

Now, the other aspect I love about TouchMath is how you can personalize the concept to fit nicely in your classroom,  From examples I've researched you can use wikki sticks, stickers, or add texture to the touch points.  Over at Little Adventure Preschool, kiddos use do-a-dot markers to fill in touch points.

No comments:

Post a Comment